The immune system normally protects the body from infections and disease. But when an autoimmune disease develops, the immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own tissues and organs.
Autoimmune diseases predominantly affect women, frequently during their childbearing years. These diseases often tend to be hereditary, and certain environmental factors may also contribute to a weakened immune system. There are natural anti-inflammatory remedies that offer an alternative to conventional treatments. Not only can they soothe the over-active and misguided immune system, but natural anti-inflammatories often also help to restore the body’s self-healing abilities. Consider adding the following into your diet to support immune function and reduce inflammation:
1. Bioflavinoids, a class of plant chemicals, has been found to greatly reduce inflammation and improve autoimmune disorder- related symptoms.
2. Flavenoids, catechins, and theaflavins found in both green and black tea are beneficial to autoimmune disease.
3. Apples contain the flavanoid quercetin that can decrease inflammation and reduce allergic reactions and. Quercetin also occurs in berries, red grapes, red onions, and black tea.
4. Carotenoids, plant pigments that include beta-carotene, are naturally found in apricots, carrots, butternut squash, and collard greens, pumpkin, sweet potato, spinach, and kale.
5. Ginger-Studies have shown that ginger reduces inflammation and helps patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
6. Omega-3: Omega-3 essential fatty acids counteract chemicals that cause inflammation. Natural sources include salmon and flaxseed oil.
7. Fiber: A healthy and active colon is healthy for your immune system. Increase the fiber in your diet for maximum autoimmune health.
To learn more about natural treatment therapies, including Chinese medicine and stress-reducing recommendations, make an appointment by calling 804.288.3927.